comehitherbooks

Come Hither Books

Upcoming Releases - January's Come Hither Books

Snowblind - Christopher Golden On Such a Full Sea - Chang-rae Lee Shovel Ready - Adam Sternbergh The Impossible Knife of Memory - Laurie Halse Anderson

These are the upcoming releases that gave me that come hither look this week.

Snowblind by Christopher Golden

Come Hither Rating: Come Hither Rating: HIGH

release date: January 21

Genre: Suspense + Fantasy + Horror

Why it sounds sexy: Oddly, it's the snowstorm that does it for me. I have a love of extreme environmental or weather settings, and a bleak wintery landscape has a lot of associative subtexts for me. I enjoy horror when it's understated and subtle, not when it's gory or over the top, and the reviews out there so far suggest Snowblind will be right up my alley. Snowblind has characters haunted by loss, a chilling setting and a bit of mystery and suspense. Sounds fantastic.

On Such a Full Sea by Chang-Rae Lee

Come Hither Rating: Come Hither Rating: MEDIUM

release date: January 7

Genre: cerebral SciFi

Why it sounds sexy: Scifi is at its strongest when it makes me think about the world I live in differently, and this book promises to do just that. Chang-Rae Lee's dystopian society has a strictly divided class system, and seems likely to provoke all sorts of interesting thoughts on race, class and cultural identity.

Shovel Ready by Adam Sternbergh

Come Hither Rating: Come Hither Rating: LOW

release date: January 14

Genre: SciFi + Noir

Why it sounds sexy: Shovel Ready is hyped as a mix of scifi, thriller and noir, and that's enough to catch my eye. The reviews mention an odd narrative and dialogue style, so it should be either a love at first read or fast discard book for me. The noir nods make me want to give it a chance, though it may prove too dystopi-yawn. We shall see...

The Impossible Knife of Memory by Laurie Halse Anderson

Come Hither Rating: Come Hither Rating: LOW

release date: January 7

Genre: YA realistic fiction

Why it sounds sexy: Anderson writes powerful stories that take on heady issues, like Speak. I don't read realistic fiction that often, but hers are usually worth making an exception for. This one takes on the consequences of life after war, as Hayley and her dad Andy try to deal with his traumatic memories of Iraq.